[Catalyst-dev] Opinionation

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 4 09:52:15 CEST 2006

As a developer I'm all for following the standard Perl model of letting people try different things and slowly settle on a best way until a better way comes up :)  However as manager who is trying to sell Perl to clients who are used to seeing Java Certified this and .Net Certified that and hire talent that doesn't need months of training on how we build applications in this shop I would enjoy fewer choices in best practices.

So I want my cake and to eat it as well.

My guess here is that at some point there will be a cleaning separation between a development Catalyst with experimental features and a stable catalyst that only gets bug and security fixes and minor feature changes.  Also I am guessing some of the bigger choices will start to settle.  Like I think the ORM of choice is DBIx::Class.  Many people seem to be gravitating toward HTML::Widget for form creation and validation, although personally it's not my choice.  Same thing with Template Toolkit as a view.  TT is great but I prefer Petal since it offers less features (strangely enough) and plays more nicely with standard designer tools like Dreamweaver.  However more Perl programmers are familiar with TT so I use that instead.  It's one of those classic Developer/Manager dilemmas I guess.

To answer your question about, "Do whatever makes most sense within the design of *your* application" being a good approach I would only add that applications tend to fall into catagories and there is probably a best practice approach for each category.  An approach that blends pragmatism and idealism.  For myself I am still trying to figure out these categories and using Catalyst as much as I can get my clients to accept it.

--john