[Catalyst-dev] New CRUD controller and surrounding code

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Mon Jun 5 09:12:45 CEST 2006

Hi,
     I've uploaded a simple CRUD application which is meant to
demonstrate the use of a crud controller I've put together while
developing with catalyst.

I've uploaded a complete app instead of a simple controller because the
crud functionality is provided by several components: the crud
controller, the specific controllers, the model classes and the templates.

Since I started developing with catalyst when dbic was probably only in
its author's mind :-) all this stuff is cdbi-based.

It's not that I'm particularly happy with cdbi, nor do I dislike dbic. I
just got used to cdbi and I thought that some code based on it could
still be useful. I'm learning dbic to port the example application to it.

You can download the application from cat wiki's start page (under
"example applications" section). I've also put up a live installation
running on cat test server at http://85.44.244.170:3303

Pros:
* search
* filtering
* sorting
* dates formatting
* new controllers are created copying existing ones, then easily
customizable (a helper script is needed though)
* enforces the use of D::FV for input validation
* makes use of database views to simplify code

Cons:
* cdbi instead of dbic (port in progress)
* no helper scripts (will add those too)
* ...

Any comments are welcome.

--
Marcello Romani