[Catalyst-dev] Wiki authentication

Kiki kiki at bsdro.org
Fri Jun 9 17:16:06 CEST 2006

Hello,

In light of the recent defacement of the Catalyst Trac wiki and
permanent wiki spamming, editing and creating new pages is permitted
only if you are authenticated. In order to make it easier for people to
contribute we could use this plugin:

http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/AccountManagerPlugin

which allows people to register new accounts. Currently the passwd file
used for authentication used by both trac and svn, but this plugin would
require the file to be moved into the Catalyst environment and made
writable by the apache user.

The problem is that separating the files would make it harder to keep
users and their passwords synchronized, while keeping the file shared
COULD result in 1) too many accounts (I have no idea what preformance
imapct this would have), 2) a corrupt passwd file (due to possible bugs
in the plugin) which would disable svn access as well as trac edit
access. As stated the risks are potential.

So, I'd like some opinions and/or alternative solutions to the whole
creating users/restricting access issue.

Thanks,
Kiki