[Catalyst-dev] Redux: config formats

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sat Jun 10 04:50:40 CEST 2006

INI is idiot-friendly but too limited

JSON is apparently only liked by me. Shrug.

XML ... yeah, right.

Programmers like YAML. Some of them really like it. Normal humans hate it. I
can't stand it either, if we really want to be whitespace sensitive I'd rather
use Inline::Python.

Nobody seems to hate Config::General although some people have some
reservations. Worst criticism so far was "not architecturally pure", which I
think is pretty much irrelevant.

I say we bite the bullet and move to Config::General by default, leaving YAML
available as an option if and only if somebody writes a patch to embed a cheat
sheet in comments available by default.

What say you?