[Catalyst-dev] Status,stuff and nonsense - public-facing sites

Cory Watson jheephat at gmail.com
Wed May 24 05:05:28 CEST 2006

On 5/23/06, Kenny Gatdula <kennyg at pobox.com> wrote:
> On May 12, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Brian Cassidy wrote:
> > Anyway, those points are basically listed in order of priority in
> > my mind.
> > I'd appreciate any comments on what I'm proposing.

I hate to 'me too' without specific points, but I didn't see any
points that I could latch onto and volunteer to help with.  Consider
me generally interested in helping you out where you need it Brian.

On second thought, the mention of trac interests me.  I'm quite
enamored with trac but I agree with Matt's points on IRC today that is
has a ) weird dependencies[0] and b ) is hard to theme [0] but I think
it brings a lot to the table.  It seems wasteful to try and reinvent
trac's wheel.

That being said I've been knocking around the idea for the last few
weeks of a 'blog' that was a less of a personal journal and more
suitable for a software development project.  Minimal 'blog' features,
planet style aggregation and some type of hooks into
trac/svn/cpan/whathaveyou that allows you to keep an eye on releases.
I initially tried to hack wordpress into submission for this on my
clicker site[1] using the mollio[2] templates to get an attractive
look with all the pretty bits pre-made.  I'd be happy to have a
discussion of such a /device/ but I'm tentative to suggest that I'll
start writing custom software-dev blog software that then has to be
maintained.  It would be nice to eat our own dog food and have a Cat
driving site though.

</ramble>

[0] - Python scares me.  YMMV.
[1] - http://www.onemogin.com/clicker/