[Catalyst-dev] It's getting on for Xmas time and Xmas means Advent calendars

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 09:41:01 GMT 2006

Hi everybody.

Just by way of pre-preparation I'd like to kick-start the process of getting
this years advent calendar up and running.  This means 24 recipes about
useful techniques and interesting things you can do with Catalyst.  It would
be nice to keep several days ahead with this so that we get enough material
to make it right the way through December.

The categories I have  listed for advent calendar entries are as follows:

Basics
Controllers
Models
Testing
Deployment

Here's the contributions I have thought of so far:

1.  "Static deployment" - basically wget -r -k http://localhost:3000 - why
and how. (kd)
2.  Testing with an external server - I can write up what I've done so far
with Catalyst::Helper::FastCGI (kd)
3.  Streaming - basically update the streaming server in svn trunk/examples
and wrap some words around it (?)
4.  A simple example applicaition demonstrating the use of Chained (phaylon
- code, kd words)
5.  Setting up a daemon to handle long running jobs which originate from a
catalyst application (?)
6.  How to set up a start-stop daemon for a fcgi handler (silly I know, but
I don't know how that's done, and I guess there are others too).
7.  Messing around with the content type headers, file name etc, i.e.
$c->res->header('Content-disposition', 'attachment; filename=3D'.$filename);

Right, that's 25% of it.  Can I have some volunteers and/or ideas for more
please?  We're not looking for huge amounts here - 2-400 words is fine, in
pod format I guess.

Some other stuff that might be useful is clever things to do with sessions
and session data,  catalyst::plugin::formbuilder, maybe some "clever usage"
of tt for particular use cases

Anyway, any suggestions, volunteers etc?