[Catalyst-dev] packaging and porting Catalyst

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Sun Oct 29 23:55:54 GMT 2006

Hello developers (and users),

As you may be aware, Catalyst can be difficult to install at times.  CPAN
installations are tricky, and require the availability of a C compiler (not
something that web developers expect to need).  So, I'd like to start an
organized group of people willing to create binary packages for their favorite
OS.  (Or the equivalent -- compiling packages from source is expected on
Gentoo and the *BSDs, and a C compiler is part of the default install.  We can
still make it easier, though.)

If you're interested, reply to the dev list indicating which distro/OS you'd
like to work on.  I've claimed OpenBSD, and there is a gentoo portage tree in
SVN.  However, Debian is quite out of date, and the other Linuxes seem to be
suffering from the same problem -- the Catalyst team and the distros would
surely appreciate your help.

The eventual goal is to be able to release updated packages with each source
release of Catalyst, so users uncomfortable with CPAN can spend their time
developing exciting web applications, not fighting with Makefile.PL and CPAN.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,