[Catalyst-dev] packaging and porting Catalyst

hkclark at gmail.com hkclark at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 00:55:11 GMT 2006

On 10/29/06, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:
> Hello developers (and users),
>
> As you may be aware, Catalyst can be difficult to install at times.  CPAN
> installations are tricky, and require the availability of a C compiler (not
> something that web developers expect to need).  So, I'd like to start an
> organized group of people willing to create binary packages for their favorite
> OS.  (Or the equivalent -- compiling packages from source is expected on
> Gentoo and the *BSDs, and a C compiler is part of the default install.  We can
> still make it easier, though.)
>
> If you're interested, reply to the dev list indicating which distro/OS you'd
> like to work on.  I've claimed OpenBSD, and there is a gentoo portage tree in
> SVN.  However, Debian is quite out of date, and the other Linuxes seem to be
> suffering from the same problem -- the Catalyst team and the distros would
> surely appreciate your help.

There was a thread earlier today where we were discussing CentOS 4
(RedHat Enterprise 4) earlier today (see
http://lists.rawmode.org/pipermail/catalyst/2006-October/010165.html).
 It's too early to say if anything will come of it.  However, if there
are others interested in CentOS/RHEL, please let us know.

Thanks!
Kennedy