[Catalyst-dev] [RFC] ditch svn

Jess Robinson castaway at desert-island.me.uk
Wed Apr 18 10:03:19 GMT 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Jonathan Rockway wrote:

> I think it's pretty clear that Subversion is a failure for our project.  We
> use topic branches heavily, and that's just not something svn (or really svk)
> is designed for.

Sorry, which "we" is this? and what are topic branches? and how does svn
not support whatever they are?

It looks like you're just dumping statements with no actual clear
explanations of anything..

> I hearby propose that we switch to git.  I envision each project in trunk to
> be a separate repository.  That will allow us to easily manage commit
> permissions, and keep branches sane (branching Catalyst-Runtime need not
> affect Catalyst-Plugin-Foobar).  I'm willing to setup and administer All
> Things Git if we decide to switch.

Is this the same "we" or a different one? Branching -Runtime doesn't
affect any other thing at the moment (or shouldn't, I've not looked too
hard at the cat repo lately, but certainly the DBIC one gets by without
that restriction).

> Please read mugwump's excellent article on svk -> git here:
>
> http://utsl.gen.nz/talks/git-svn/intro.html

That looks (from a glance) like its for folks who have already decided,
thus doesn't give reasons why, just how.

> BTW, here's the complete Perl history imported into git:
>
> http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gitweb?p=perl.git;a=summary
>
> They even use Catalyst in the URL, how can we not switch? ;)

Because "we" have no reason to, that I can see?

Jess