[Catalyst-dev] [RFC] ditch svn

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:08:24 GMT 2007

On 18/04/07, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:

> I think it's pretty clear that Subversion is a failure for our
> project.  We
> use topic branches heavily, and that's just not something svn (or really
> svk)
> is designed for.
>
> I hearby propose that we switch to git.

OK, this has been discussed fairly extensively on #catalyst-dev over the
past 24 hours, and the upshot is that nothing dramatic is going to happen to
the repository until Catalyst 5.8 is released.  I did intend to summarise
the discussions on irc, but it would be much more entertaining for people to
read the discussion themselves when they need to be reminded of what will
happen.  In particular, andyg and mst have reached some kind of agreement as
to what needs to be done re restructuring the repository to make merging
easier.  We will not be switching to git until jrockway shows it
interoperates fully with people who want to continue to use svn/svk.

If you want to review the irc logs at any time and you have access to them,
look around between 22:00 UTC on Wed 18th April 2007 to 0800 UTC on the
19th.  This email mainly functions as a public archived reminder that
decisions have been made, and that those who made them are able to review at
leisure.

HTH :-)