[Catalyst-dev] RFC: Changing Tutorial From HTML::Widget to C::C::FormBuilder

hkclark at gmail.com hkclark at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 13:50:28 GMT 2007

Hi Everyone,

I have been thinking for a while that we need to get away from HTML::Widget
with the tutorial.  The current version on CPAN does not install without a
force and it sounds like maintenance has come to an end.

In terms of which module should be used for form management, validation, and
related stuff, I seem to be seeing 3 main options discussed on the list and
in #catalyst (in no particular order):
1) HTML::FormFu
2) Catalyst::Controller::FormBuilder
3) Reaction

I haven't had a chance to experiment with Option 1 yet, but judging from
email on the list, it sounds like Carl has done some great things with it.
I saw posts where it sounds like Carl has positioned FormFu as a replacement
for H::W, but I'm not sure if it's a backward compatible sort of "drop in"
replacement or a totally different approach (IOW, if we put FormFu in the
tutorial, I don't know if we could migrate the existing Advanced CRUD
section to FormFu or if it would require a total re-write because they are
too different).  Comments welcome on that.

I have been working with C::C::FormBuilding lately and I like it.  I like
how it let's you define your forms using YAML in .fb files... to me, that
seems much cleaner that cluttering up my controller with the stuff I used to
do with HTML::Widget.  FormBuilder seems to have a loyal following outside
of Catalyst, so it should be sticking around for a while.  I believe
Jonathan Rockway will be covering FormBuilding as the primary form
maintenance and validation module in his upcoming book.

I spent a little time working with Reaction, but I'm still a newbie for
sure.  It certainly sounds like the "Holy Grail" option for not just form
management, but better design of your views and models.  However, it sounds
like it would still be a bit early to put that in the tutorial and have it
be seen as a "best practice."  Also, even when Reaction is "finished," it
still might be good to have something "less complex" or "more traditional"
discussed first in the tutorial, with Reaction being a different section (or
sections) that cover more than just forms (get into it's unique approach to
views and models).

So, I have been thinking this might make sense:

1) Replace the existing "Advanced CRUD" section 8 with a C::C::FormBuilder
section
2) When we are ready, add another section (or more) that covers Reaction
(IOW, first teach FormBuilder just for forms and then teach Reaction as the
more "comprehensive" solution)
3) Re the existing Advanced CRUD section that discusses HTML::Widget, I see
several options:
  a) Delete it altogether
  b) Put it at the end as a deprecated section in case some people are still
interested
  c) Migrate it to FormFu

What do people think?

Thanks,