[Catalyst-dev] PPM Catalyst/Manual.html clash.

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sat Jul 14 18:09:17 GMT 2007

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 06:47:42PM +0200, Emanuele Zeppieri wrote:
> Matt S Trout wrote:
>
> >>Just drop Manual.pod from Catalyst::Runtime, because Catalyst will be
> >>cleaner ;-)
> >
> >We tried that. New users didn't realise the manual existed.
>
> Really?!
>
> Wasn't "See L<Catalyst::Manual> for more documentation." in
> Catalyst.pm's POD sufficient?
>
> I can't imagine a user who didn't understand that (not even a Windows
> user ;-)

People often browse the search.cpan dist page to look for documentation.

It's amazing how easily users can miss links in POD, DBIx::Class::Relationship
links to Relationship::Base with a similar message and new users miss that
all the time.

> >I'd love to make it easier for you to install Catalyst using your chosen
> >closed source GUI tool, but not at the expense of everybody using the
> >standard
> >free software solutions for perl deployment.
>
> Nor Windows nor ActivePerl are my platforms of choice, though I feel no
> particular perverse pleasure in boycotting them.

I don't believe that's what I'm suggesting.

> Seriously, placing a fake file in Catalyst::Runtime just to say: "Hey
> man, look, there is also a Catalyst Manual!" is not a good idea IMO.

I don't desperately like it, but I don't have a better solution.

> Then incidentally it also causes that problem with PPM, so you
> ultimately get two damages at once...

Have you filed a bug against PPM yet? :)

> Believe it or not, I suggested that *only* pro Catalyst and its spread
> among the greatest possible number of users (regardless of the platform
> they use).

I believe you. I just disagree that what you're suggesting would be an
improvement ovr the current situation, on balance.

Hmm.

Does anybody know if calling the Catalyst/Manual.pm something else but
leaving the package line intact would DTRT? I have a feeling it would, and
that would let us leave the .pod in the main dist, 'cpan Catalyst::Manual'
would still DTRT, -and- ppm would (hopefully) not break itself.