[Catalyst-dev] Maintenance release: C::P::Authentication

Jay K jayk at ion0.com
Sun Jul 22 04:13:28 GMT 2007

Hey all,

Turns out there was a minor bug in C::P::Authentication - this didn't
affect updated modules, but it did limit the compatibility of older
modules with the new Auth.

I've uploaded a maintenance release to CPAN which fixes this bug.
I should also note that after fixing this bug, the LDAP module is now
fully compatible with realms (with a slightly different config)

Basically - you avoid placing the LDAP store in the 'use Catalyst'
line and instead configure auth as follows:

> __PACKAGE__->config(
>         authentication => {
>             default_realm => 'users',
>             realms => {
>                 users => {
>                     credential => {
>                         class => 'Password',
>                         password_field => 'password',
>                         password_type => 'self_check',
>                     },
>                     store => {
>                         class => 'LDAP::Backend',
> 	                    [ ... rest of LDAP config ]
> 	                }
> 	            }
> 	        }
> 	    }
> 	);

Then just replace your $c->login call with $c->authenticate, as follows:

> old:
>
> $c->login($username, $password);
>
> new:
>
> $c->authenticate({ id => $username, password => $password });

I post this because this may work with other 'old-style' modules too
- and is worth trying as an initial step towards migrating to realms.

Anyway - thanks to Wade (aka waswas) for helping track this problem
down.

JayK

---
For most things, throwing yourself at the wall over and over is a
better way to improve than thinking hard about the wall and taking
pictures of it.  -- D.Litwack