[Catalyst-dev] logging user with mod_perl

Carl Johnstone catalyst at fadetoblack.me.uk
Tue Mar 6 15:16:39 GMT 2007

Hi,

I want to log the user to the apache access_log when using the mod_perl
engine in production.

I've hacked this by adding this to the "end" action of my app:

    if ($c->user_exists) {
        $c->apache->user($c->user);
    }

It would be much nicer if this happened out of the box, so I don't have to
repeat the same for every app we build. If I hack this into "finalize_body"
in Catalyst::Engine::Apache it seems to work fine for apps that both do and
don't include Plugin::Authentication :

    if ($c->can('user_exists') && $c->user_exists) {
        $self->apache->user($c->user);
    }

Would it be possible to have it added to the Engine for the next release?

Thanks

Carl