[Catalyst-dev] porting from another MVC framework

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu Nov 29 00:59:09 GMT 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 02:24:52PM -0800, Emily Heureux wrote:
> Hi, we are trying to port from a homemade MVC framework to Catalyst

Then you want the users' list, not this one (which is development -of- Catalyst
not -using- Catalyst).

>, but we
> are new to Catalyst.  The old setup had logic written in Model and View, and
> very little in the Controller.  I do not understand how Catalyst is set up
> by default.  I cannot seem to have several perl modules within View

MyApp::View::Foo
MyApp::View::Bar

MyApp->config->{default_view} = 'Foo';

$c->stash(current_view => 'Bar');

> , but I
> can put all the logic and perl modules I want into Controller.  My
> understanding is that you don't want to put a bunch of logic in Controller,
> but instead in Model and View.

Varies with the interpretation of MVC.

I prefer thin controllers that just handle request workflow ala a trad
smalltalk MVC.

I'll happily elaborate on all this on the main catalyst users' list once
you've moved the thread.

--
      Matt S Trout       Catalyst and DBIx::Class consulting and support -
   Technical Director      http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/