[Catalyst-dev] several instances of an app on a machine.

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 09:31:49 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Marcus Ramberg <marcus at nordaaker.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
>  I've been thinking about a feature I want to add to Catalyst-Devel so
>  that
>  the created skeleton adds a new command to the script/ dir of apps
>
>  script/myapp.pl
>
>  Create an instance of Catalyst app installed somewhere in @INC
>
>  Make a directory structure like so:
>
>  myapp.conf
>  conf/apache-fastcgi.conf
>  conf/apache-modperl.conf
>  conf/lighttpd-fastcgi.conf
>  data/ - app specific data like a sqlite database or filecache to be
>  stored here
>  root/ - automagically added to the apps template path, so that
>  instances can override individual templates
>  script/server.pl - These should pretty much just proxy to the existing
>  scripts
>  script/fastcgi.pl   so that they won't need to be upgraded.
>
>  It might also be sensible to do a simple change to Catalyst.pm in
>  Catalyst-Runtime:
>
>  Add a requires_instance() method to Catalyst.pm that will die with a
>  message
>  about having to run myapp.pl to create a instance of the app if it's
>  started
>  from the system instance or to set MYAPP_HOME in the case of modperl?
>
>  Thoughts/comments?

I don't know if it goes in the same direction - but for the sake of
brainstorming - what I would like to see is:

catalyst_server -MMy::App -c /some/dir/my_app.yml

and

catalyst_fastcgi -MMy::App -c /some/dir/my_app.yml

or even:

catalyst_server -c /some/dir/my_app.yml

Because the server can take the module name from the config.

alternatively it could be:

perl -MMy::App --fastcgi -c /some/dir/my_app.yml

If not the use of Find::Bin this would be not so difficult to write
that as an add-on.

>  Marcus

Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/