[Catalyst-dev] Moose port progress report

Guillermo Roditi groditi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 20:25:56 BST 2008

>  Depends. When Catalyst is Moose-ified, what version will it be? 5.9? 6.0?
>
>  If this conversion bumps up a major version, I have no concerns with
>  back compat of plugins. Maybe that's just me.

Great question. I think there is no reason why we can't do in 5.9
seeing as how, so far, we have not broken compat. I do think however
that 6.0 is also a good target that will allow us to make some more
radical changes,

All in all, to be honest, I want to get this merged back ASAP because
I know how these projects go. If we get too ambitious we will forever
push back the merge date, the branch will start differing so much form
trunk that it'll be a huge pain to merge and the work might be lost
into the land of "Someone started a branch for that once, but it died
at 99%". I told Matt that the only way I would commit to working on
this project was the parties involved agreed to take it small steps at
a time. I am not a member of the core Cat dev team, and I don't really
have the time to be, so I want this to be done.

While on the subject, the reason I want this in 5.9 is because it
would allow us to introduce all the Moose stuff earlier and work out
all the kinks and then, for 6.0, we could deprecate some of the cruft
and introduce new ways to do things. Any problems with that? Core
devs, I am talking to all of you.

--
Guillermo Roditi (groditi)