[Catalyst-dev] RFC, docs reorg, again

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Sat May 3 23:15:16 BST 2008

On 4 May 2008, at 07:35, Matt S Trout wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 09:03:43PM +1000, Kieren Diment wrote:
>> Please consider this idea:
>>
>> Ditch the Catalyst::Manual dist, move everhthing that's not the
>> tutorial back into Catalyst::Devel, and make a separate
>> Catalyst::Manual::Tutorial dist.
>
> Make it a Catalyst::Devel dependency if you like.
>
> -1 on rolling the thing back in unless somebody can show a genuine
> advantage to it; "please consider this idea" doesn't count as a
> reason.

(Almost) Everyone with ::Devel installed needs the docs - but not
everyone with ::Devel installed needs the tutorial.

So we've got two independent dists here - the first are informational
pages (mostly pretty stable, Intro could do with a significant
rework) and the second is the somewhat out-of-date tutorial.

so a Catalyst::Manual dist, and a Catalyst::Manual::Tutorial dist is
what you're suggesting instead?   I'm just not completely sure of the
advantage of yet another dist, when Devel has a long release cycle
anyway, and the content of these pages is reasonably  tightly coupled
to the code.

./Catalyst/Manual/About.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Actions.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Cookbook.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/DevelopmentProcess.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/ExtendingCatalyst.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Internals.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Intro.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Plugins.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/WritingPlugins.pod

The second are tutorial pages (needs an overhaul - mainly ditching
HTML::Widget for FormFu or Formbuilder and using the new auth
framework API):

./Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial/AdvancedCRUD.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial/Appendices.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial/Authentication.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial/Authorization.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial/BasicCRUD.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial/CatalystBasics.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial/Debugging.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial/Intro.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial/Testing.pod
./Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial.pod