[Catalyst-dev] RFC, docs reorg, again

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Sun May 4 05:10:27 BST 2008

On 4 May 2008, at 13:18, Jonathan Rockway wrote:

> * On Sat, May 03 2008, Kieren Diment wrote:
>> So we've got two independent dists here - the first are informational
>> pages (mostly pretty stable, Intro could do with a significant
>> rework) and the second is the somewhat out-of-date tutorial.
>
> So you're saying that you want to make more work for the
> maintainers and
> more work for the users, just because you think the distributions
> should
> be separate?

No, I'm not just saying "I want there to be more work".  I'm saying
the current arrangement doesn't seem quite right.

Logically the Tutorial and the Manual dist do two different things,
so changes to the Manual:: shouldn't bump the version number of
the ::Tutorial stuff or vice versa.

Also, the ::Manual should be a prerequisite of the ::Devel dist, but
the Manual::Tutorial should only be a recommends.

I can see the value of having separate documentation distributions,
so I guess my proposal is now:

1.  Keep as is,
or ...
2. Have the structure of the documentation dists better reflect their
function.  Manual is almost always useful on a dev box, Tutorial,
much less so.