[Catalyst-dev] Catalyst test suite

Andy Grundman andy at hybridized.org
Tue May 6 03:58:06 BST 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 7:48 PM, Yuri Shtil wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am contemplating to write a new Catalyst::Engine subclass. A
> looked at the test suite of an existing module
> ( Catalyst::Engine::HTTP::POE) and discovered a lot of *.pm and
> testapp_poe.pl. I could not run it since some modules were missing
> (like  +TestApp::Plugin::FullyQualified).
>
> The POD also referred to this module passing "the Catalyst test
> suite".
>
> Am I missing something needed to develop and test Catalyst::Engine?
> How do I get and use the test suite?

Hi,

The Catalyst test suite for engines consists of the t/live_* files.
There are several ways to run these tests against your engine.

If your engine can be scripted to run automatically, you can write a
wrapper script that launches the engine and runs all the tests against
it.  For an example of this see t/optional_http-server.t.

You can manually run tests against your engine by setting the
CATALYST_SERVER env var to the URI where your engine is running.  Then
any Catalyst tests you run will run against that host.  This is very
helpful for debugging a single failing test.  Note that your engine
must be running the TestApp, which just means you need to copy t/lib/*
into an app.

-Andy