[Catalyst-dev] Developing action_uri() for Catalyst 5.80

Jason Gottshall jgottshall at capwiz.com
Wed May 28 19:50:03 GMT 2008

After reviewing the list archives (both users and dev), it appears that
there is some interest in developing an action_uri() method that would
Do The Right Thing given a private path and any necessary captures. I've
been given a tuit at $work to do some dev on this, so that I can pass it
along to my programmers as a "best practice", especially in template
construction. This being my first attempt at a contrib to this project,
I'm gonna need a little help to get going, though.

Background: I raised this question on the cat users list about a year
and half ago, in the context of getting URIs for Chained actions:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/catalyst/users/12260

At that point, mst affirmed that it was a point of interest and invited
me onto the dev list (sorry it took me so long!) And interestingly, it
looks like Ash had put out an RFC for the same thing a few months
earlier on the dev list, but that thread seems to have been warnocked
(or talked out on IRC?):

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/catalyst/dev/10213

Anyway, the most concrete work so far seems to have been done by Simon
Elliott in his  '07 Advent Calendar entry:

http://catalyst.perl.org/calendar/2007/13

And mst has recently suggested that something like this is worth
considering for the 5.80 release:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/catalyst/dev/17578#17578

So, I guess now I need a nudge in the right direction. Should I go ahead
and rustle up a first run at the code and post it here for comments?

Thanks for your patience as I get acclimated to the dev process!

Jason