[Catalyst-dev] Catalyst Performance Testing

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Thu Apr 23 03:45:32 GMT 2009

> Peter Karman wrote:
>> Catalyst is
>> not optimized for serving static content, because there's already good
>> tools
>> that do that. It's optimized for development of dynamic content.

I just want to re-emphasize what I wrote earlier. Catalyst is optimized for the
*development* of dynamic content. Not necessarily for the delivery of said
content. Sure, you could write a dynamic site for "pure" mod_perl, or even in C,
but it'll take a lot longer to write, and you won't be able to leverage the
[ever-increasing] number of plugins, base controllers/models/views, etc., that
Catalyst offers.

The most expensive part of any web site development is developer time, including
maintenance.

That said, the most useful benchmarks you'll be able to develop are going to be
those specific to *your* project, and such benchmarks should take into account
time-to-develop as well as requests-per-second. Hardware is cheap; knowledgeable
people are not.

Peter Karman  .  http://peknet.com/  .  peter at peknet.com