[Catalyst-dev] Catalyst Performance Testing

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu Apr 23 17:56:51 GMT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 05:50:02PM -0700, Jason Wieland wrote:
> Baseline:  Just using the webserver (apache or nginx) to download a
> static file
> Static Catalyst: Running the same query but going through Catalyst to
> retrieve the same static file (using Static::Simple)
> Noop Catalyst: Processing a request on a empty controller

So, you've benchmarked Hello World. Why do you care?

I've worked on a lot of large scale Catalyst applications, and done a
fair amount of optimisation work, and I have *never* found Catalyst to
be the bottleneck in my performance testing. Better still, because
the teams had used Catalyst they had more time at the end of the
project for performance testing and optimisation and it was easier
to clean up the code because the architecture of the application was
flexible. That really, massively beats caring about how fast Hello
World is :)

I'd point out that BBC iPlayer is built on Catalyst and DBIx::Class
- are you going to tell me you're going to need to scale further than
they do? :)

> Also completely unrelated. I could not get Catalyst working on the
> mpm_worker_module.  Is Catalyst not thread safe?

Catalyst is threadsafe. Your DBD:: may not be, or something else you
load. But FastCGI is a much better production environment than mod_perl
anyway.