[Catalyst-dev] Plugin or controller?

Matthias Dietrich mdietrich at cpan.org
Mon Jun 1 13:47:18 GMT 2009

Hi,

Matt S Trout redirected me to this list to discuss a "new" plugin for
Catalyst.  But I guess I need to reach back a bit.

I surfed on CPAN yesterday and found the module
Catalyst::Controller::RateLimit.  One of my first thouhgts was, this
module should has been written as a plugin, not as a controller
because it extends an application with functionality which is neither
business logic nor controller actions.

I then contacted the author and stated my thoughts.  Andrey Kostenko ( http://search.cpan.org/~gugu
  ) answered that he first wrote it as a plugin, but the list
suggested to find another namespace.  So he has chosen the Controller
namespace.  He suggested to rewrite the module so that it is based on
Algorithm::TokenBucket instead of Algorithm::FloodControl and file it
under the Plugin namespace.

To my module proposing Matt answered:

> It's normal for Catalyst plugins to be rewritten to become controllers
> - trying to go the other way round strongly suggests a design
> mistake to me.

In my opinion, the module Catalyst::Controller::RateLimit should be
Catalyst::Plugin::RateLimit.  But may be I'm wrong.  What does the
list think about this?

Thanks,
   matt

--
rainboxx Matthias Dietrich
Freier Software Engineer

rainboxx                  |  Tel.: +49 (0) 151 / 50 60 78 64
Tölzer Str. 19            |  Mail: matt at rainboxx.de
70372 Stuttgart           |  WWW : http://www.rainboxx.de

XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Matthias_Dietrich18
GULP: http://www.gulp.de/profil/rainboxx.html