[Catalyst-dev] Re: [Catalyst] RFC: new helper api

Francesc Romà i Frigolé francesc.roma+catalyst at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 11:00:26 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Devin Austin <devin.austin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> I've put together an RFC for the new Catalyst::Helper API.
> The body text is located below, but it is also available here in a pretty
> formatted version:
> http://www.codedright.net/2009/06/rfc-catalysthelper-api.html

Hi Devin,

Thanks for working on this. I think you are on the right path :)

This are two examples of things I think Catalyst::Helper should do, and it
looks like it would, if your RFC where implemented:

1) It should be possible to create an application with catalyst version X
and then run the catalyst helper again on catalyst version < X  (assuming it
doesn't use any feature of the newer version). Right now if an application
has been created with Catalyst 5.8, running it with 5.7 is not just a matter
of changing the line "use Catalyst::Runtime 5.80;"

2) It should be possible to incrementally change parts of the themes both
for a specific application, or in general, for all the applications that I'm
developing.

For example, a possible approach could be, if I do catalyst.pl MyApp -theme
cheesy, and I have a local theme configuration, let's say I have the files
wrapper.tt and css/forms.css in the directory ~/.catalyst/themes/cheesy. In
this case it should use the default catalyst configuration files for the
theme "cheesy" except for my local theme files. Also, if MyApp already
exists, it should respect the local changes made to the theme for that
application.

I don't understand the part about generating DBIC schemas. Right now when I
need to change the schema because the sql has changed during development I
do this:

rm seminar.db
sqlite3 seminar.db < seminar.sql
./script/seminar_create.pl model DB DBIC::Schema Seminar::Schema
create=3Dstatic components=3DInflateColumn::FS  dbi:SQLite:seminar.db

What are you proposing to change/improve?

regards,
Francesc