[Catalyst-dev] Re: [Catalyst] "Use of uninitialized value $buffer" error

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Tue Jun 30 20:40:51 GMT 2009

On 20 Jun 2009, at 15:32, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> I'm having a hell of a time trying to track down the reasons
> for this error.
>
> I'm getting an error that looks like:
>
> Use of uninitialized value $buffer in concatenation (.) or
> string at /usr/share/perl5/Catalyst/Engine/CGI.pm line 220.

For the benefit of the list, this is now fixed.

http://dev.catalystframework.org/svnweb/Catalyst/revision?rev=10745
http://dev.catalystframework.org/svnweb/Catalyst/revision?rev=10746

Merlyn was exactly right, write was being called with undef, due to
FillInForm setting the response body to undef.

New release of FillInForm will follow shortly, and this will be fixed
in the general case in the next Catalyst.

What are people's thoughts about adding a specific warning if you try
to write undef? (As you could still cause this warning by doing that
explicitly)

Cheers
t0m