[Catalyst-dev] Catalyst::Manual Questions For The Group

hkclark at gmail.com hkclark at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 03:37:52 GMT 2009

Thanks you for the replies.  Comments inline below...

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish at planet.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 09:48 -0500, hkclark at gmail.com wrote:
> > I took a look at some of these but I wasn't sure if I should start
> > changing things or not.  It seems that every time I don't cover
> > variation people might run into if they aren't on the
> > latest/recommended versions, then they get "stuck" and frustrated.  I
> > agree that the "Note that if you are using version XX of XX you ..."
> > stuff can be distracting, but it seems like a necessary evil (unless
> > the issue is *really* old... I do try to eventually prune those out).
> > Thoughts?
>
> My preference would be to stick to the most recent version and remove
> any references to older versions. You can make this very clear at the
> beginning of the tutorial. Like you say, it's messy and distracting to
> mix versions together in the manual.
>
> If indeed there is a need for older versions, then you could include
> some appendix listing the differences on what pages, but this could be
> alot of extra work I realize.

OK, based on the feedback from Kiffin and Kieren, I'll start working on
consolidating the historical stuff into an Appendix.  It will take a fair
amount of work, so I probably won't do it all at once, but over time we
should be a be able to clean things up.

> > User asks "what If I want to accept with 0, 1 or 2 but not anymore
> > arguments than that?"... my understanding is that you can specify an
> > exact number of :Args or omit it for any number, but not do a range of
> > acceptable args.  Can anyone confirm if this is correct?
>
> According to the Catalyst::DispatchType::Chained documentation:
>
> By default, endpoints receive the rest of the arguments in the path. You
> can tell Catalyst through :Args explicitly how many arguments your
> endpoint expects, just like you can with :CaptureArgs. Note that this
> also affects whether this chain is invoked on a request. A chain with an
> endpoint specifying one argument will only match if exactly one argument
> exists in the path.
>
> You can specify an exact number of arguments like :Args(3), including 0.
> If you just say :Args without any arguments, it is the same as leaving
> it out altogether: The chain is matched regardless of the number of path
> parts after the endpoint.

Yeah, but I think the ticket is asking if there is a way to do a *range*...
IOW, 1 - 3 args... not 0 and not 4 or more.  That isn't supported, right?

Thanks again,
Kennedy