[Catalyst-dev] Dropping characters when using fastcgi

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Wed Feb 16 08:58:45 GMT 2011

On 10 Oct 2010, at 03:51, Michael Brutsch wrote:

> I'm trying to run Catalyst on a shared server.  I've installed all
> the modules, downloaded and run all the tests in chapter 8 of the
> Catalyst::Manual::Tutorial, and everything seems to check out.  I've
> followed the steps in the first two chapters of said tutorial, and
> everything works fine when I run the development server.  My shared
> provider, however, has forbidden me to run the development server,
> and asked that I use fastcgi.  I followed the steps in this wiki
> page (http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Catalyst) to get the fastcgi
> configured, and the welcome page loads properly.  However, when I
> try to run the 'Hello, World" test, it drops the final few
> characters; all I get is "He".  The next couple of example do the
> same; they appear to work properly, the error log looks normal, but
> it drops the last few characters of output.  I verified this by
> adding extra characters to the end; when I do, I get the entire
> "Hello, World".
>
> I have no idea where to look for a solution to this problem.  I
> didn't include any config info, as I didn't want to clutter up the
> list with unneeded blobs of text, but I'll gladly reply with any
> settings that may be relevant.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HTTP traces of what's actually happening and your app source code
would be helpful...

Are you using the Unicode plugin (either of them), or are you
outputting non-ascii? The mismatch between characters and bytes could
be causing the Content-Length to be miscalculated...

Other than that, I'm stuck for ideas without a whole lot more info.

Cheers
t0m