[Catalyst-dev] When will Catalyst reach 6.0?

André Walker andre at andrewalker.net
Thu Dec 12 15:32:33 GMT 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 09:13:40AM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:
>On 12/12/13 3:18 AM, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> >How about doing a Linus and putting an end to version number madness
> >by simply declaring the next version to be a new major release? If we
> >didn’t have sanity so far, at least we can have it from here on out.
> >
> >It’s never too late to fix an ongoing problem.
>
> +1

I agree with changing version numbers, but I don't think we should only do
that, as the Linux kernel did. I think, in Catalyst's case, a new major
version number is a great opportunity to break back-compat with things that
cause problems (make the code base hard to understand, and almost nobody uses
them anyway). Things like M::, V:: and C:: namespaces, etc.