[Catalyst-dev] Re: When will Catalyst reach 6.0?

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Tue Dec 17 04:46:12 GMT 2013

On 2013.12.16 7:16 PM, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> I’d propose the following:
>
>    5.90060  →  6.000
>    5.90061  →  6.001
>    5.90070  →  6.100
>    5.90071  →  6.101
>    5.90072  →  6.102
>    5.90080  →  6.200

What a coincidence, I was going to recommend essentially the same thing.

My first major point is that we have never more than 3 figures to the right of
the decimal place, and I see Aristotle agrees.

Beyond that, increment the thousanths place for minor releases, and optionally
increment the tenths place after the decimal for semi-major changes.

Since we should be free to increment the wholes digit more readily, we probably
wouldn't need to have more than 1 digit, the tenths, for semi-majors, if at all.

Another key point is, because we can be more free to increment the wholes digit
without it having a special meaning, we can also be free to change any meaning
or pattern in the fractional digits each time we do that.

But I wholeheartedly support the exact proposal Aristotle gave above.  And yes,
I saw the "6" shift just a coincidence.

-- Darren Duncan