[Catalyst-dev] When will Catalyst reach 6.0?

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 23:01:39 GMT 2014

Hi,
I'd love to move Catalyst along as well.  If you want to help here's the current TODO list:
https://github.com/perl-catalyst/catalyst-runtime/issues?q=is%3Aopen

and the items on our current dev burn (dev003 on CPAN if you want to help test it)
https://github.com/perl-catalyst/catalyst-runtime/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3Aholland
Athough now that I look I think some of those are finished but its still not a bad list of the goals for the next stable release (shooting for Jan 28, in time for the 10th anniversary notice)
Although we didn't hit V6 in 2014 since last year we did:
15 stable releases (not just bug fixes, there's real new and useful features)10 development release
We also have 21 advent articles (feel free to add more, we still have open slots)
So it you think Catalyst isn't moving fast enough, I'd love to see you names on this chart:
https://github.com/perl-catalyst/catalyst-runtime/graphs/contributors?from=2013-12-20&to=2014-12-22&type=c

Bike shedding the version number is not a good use of time.   We'll hit 6 sometime in 2015 because either we find a way forward with something new and exciting, or I come to the conclusion I don't have enough developers helping out and we go with plan B which is a version 6 that is he same as we currently have minus some of the worst hacks (and probably try to complete the port to Moose project, which kinda stalled once it got just good enough to use.)
Best of luck,
jnap

 On 2014-12-20 6:26 AM, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Darren Duncan <darren at darrenduncan.net> [2013-12-13 04:45]:
>> I recommend separating those things.
>>
>> Release a 6.0 now that is backwards compatible with the last current
>> version, and is mostly just a renumbering.
>>
>> Then later release either a 6.1 or a 7.0 or whatever as appropriate
>> when you have major or backwards-breaking changes.
>
> The sensible man on the thread; and of course, no one listened.

Thank you for your vote of confidence in the idea. -- Darren Duncan