[Catalyst] Release early, release often?

Alex Pavlovic alex at taskforce-1.com
Fri Apr 8 08:54:50 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Thursday 07 April 2005 18:10, Sebastian Riedel wrote:
> Yes, i see it alike, but how would you differ between stable and
> unstable? Isn't it stable (enough) when it passes all tests? :)

The way I see it is as follows. A "stable" branch is always more
mature then "unstable" or "current" ( i.e. working sources ).
The "current" branch is basically work in progress and code that
may or may not end up being present in the next major release.
The code then transitions from "current" over into "stable" branch
from which a release can be made.

Having these two parallel tracks provides several benefits:

1.) You have clear separation between cutting edge ( i.e. experimental )
and production ready source.
2.) Users can choose to track either "current" or "stable". For those
that wish to use well tested production code they can choose among
one of the releases made out of "stable" branch.
3.) Established code release process

Thanks.