[Catalyst] Win32 Catalyst Demo

Andy Grundman andy at hybridized.org
Tue Apr 26 20:37:00 CEST 2005

Jeremy Silva wrote:
 > Hey all,
 > Here are some instructions on getting the Hops example up and running
 > for win32 people.  Hopefully it will help others out.
 >
 > Jeremy

Jeremy,

Did you ever take your Win32 app farther than running it under
server.pl?  I am able to run my app under server.pl just fine, but ran
into a brick wall trying to run it under IIS with FastCGI.  There is
almost no documentation about IIS/FastCGI and most relates to running
PHP scripts.  I will probably give up and just run Apache2/mod_perl but
if IIS/FastCGI is possible it would be good to know.

FYI, these are the things I did, based on this guide:
http://phplens.com/phpeverywhere/fastcgi-php

1. Downloaded http://www.caraveo.com/fastcgi/fastcgi-0.6.zip and
extracted isapi_fcgi.dll to C:\www\iis.

2. Loaded this registry script:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FASTCGI]
"StartServers"=dword:00000005
"IncrementServers"=dword:00000002
"MaxServers"=dword:00000019
"Timeout"=dword:00000258

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FASTCGI\.pl]
"AppPath"="c:\\Perl\\bin\\perl.exe"

Note: The "BindPath" key mentioned in the article had to be removed or
nothing would work.

3. Created a new web site in IIS.  I set the document root to my app's
top-level directory (C:\www\MyApp).

4. IIS -> Web Site Properties -> Home Directory -> Configuration.
Changed the .pl App Mapping from perl.exe to C:\www\iis\isapi_fcgi.dll

5. Restart IIS.

6. Accessed http://localhost/script/fcgi.pl. This gives mixed results.
I see 5 perl.exe processes firing up, but the output the browser gets is
really messed up.  Sometimes it will display the full Catalyst debug
output, sometimes only part of it, sometimes it will display portions of
my HTML in a rendered mode, other times in plain text mode.

That's as far as I was able to get.

-Andy