[Catalyst] Branding - or path prefix

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Mon Aug 1 17:28:21 CEST 2005

      Although I would advise against the wildcard (there are a lot of
reasons why they are not the best idea),  I do agree with Matt's other
statements.  A cool thing you may do is have a fall through on the hostname
where if they try to access a hostname that has not been set but yet still
is a cname to the site you can have it redirect to an error page or to a
default branded site. DNS queries are very low cost (3,000 second is very
easy to do on a well configured server).  If you set the TTL to 15 minutes
on the records,  then your total time to populate a dns change is < 16
minutes (if cached) or instant (if uncached).   I guess my views on
branding sites are a wee bit different than yours, all of our clients would
never accept unbranded domains.

-Wade
http://www.fallon.com/

             Matt S Trout
             <catalyst at trout.m
             e.uk>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  The elegant MVC web framework
             catalyst-bounces@         <catalyst at lists.rawmode.org>
             lists.rawmode.org                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/01/05 10:05 AM         Re: [Catalyst] Branding - or path
                                       prefix

             Please respond to
              The elegant MVC
               web framework
             <catalyst at lists.r
                awmode.org>

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 04:00:41PM +0200, Zbyszek Lukasiak wrote:
> Branding based on hostname has the disadvantage that you need the
> hostnames.  With it you add unnecessary dependency on the DNS and DNS is
> quite complicated system. It can take weeks to refresh DNS, while you can
> change the path instantaneusly.

Bullshit. If you set the TTL low enough DNS changes are fast, and provided
nobody's accessing a hostname before it's there (in which case you're
waiting
only a few minutes because DNS servers don't tend to cache failures long)
then the creation of a new hostname is instantaneous.

In any case, you can just have an entry in your zone file like

*.site.com IN A ...

and then you know you can use whatever subdomains of site.com you want ...

--
     Matt S Trout           Website: http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk
  Technical Director        E-mail:  mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk