[Catalyst] what's the point of Catalyst::Model::CDBI::Plain?

Marcus Ramberg marcus.ramberg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 09:39:27 CEST 2005

On 8/3/05, Phil Mitchell <seasprocket at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right now, in my app, my model classes simply extend Class::DBI and it
> all works fine. By using CDBI::Plain, my models would get
> Catalyst::Base and a new() method ... what i don't understand is why
> they would want that?

Hey Phil.

Using the ::Plain base class means that all your model classes will be
loaded automatically at  startup of your application. Catalyst
initializes all Classes that inherit from Catalyst::Base in the
MyApp::[[M|V|C]] namespaces. That's all,  I guess.

> The main reason I'm asking this is I'm giving a talk next week at
> Boston perlmongers on my new app, Reef. Since Reef is based on
> Catalyst, I'd like to be slightly well-informed on that topic too...

Iiiinteresting. Might we get to know what Reef is?

Marcus