[Catalyst] Bing!

Philip Edelbrock phil at netroedge.com
Thu Aug 11 01:42:20 CEST 2005

On Aug 10, 2005, at 3:39 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 02:07 -0700, Corey wrote:
>
>> Here's a related link, fairly recent:
>> http://www.simplicidade.org/notes/archives/2005/06/
>> ruby_on_rails_a.html
>>

> This guy isn't up-to-date on Class::DBI.  His 1+100 queries issue is
> solved by the by stuff Matt did in Class::DBI::Sweet.  Most people
> could
> just use good caching and ignore the issue, despite what he says here.

Ah yeah, I've read that article.  Interesting.  I was going to ask
about his DB comments, but you answered it before I had a chance to
ask. ;')

I'd be very interested to see the shopping-cart port example.

Good point regarding the number of available Ruby-heads vs. Perl-
heads out there.  Maintenance is a concern of ours.

Another related question: I see that Catalyst is rated as 'production/
stable' (i.e. not 'beta').  I could see that it's easy to discount
that because it is so new and still under development.  On the flip-
side, RoR seems to be marked as 'beta' (at least in Freshmeat.net),
but can be argued that it is already used to deploy complex public
sites.  Do you have any insight as to how 'beta' Catalyst is vs. RoR?

Speaking of which, are there any large reference sites built on
Catalyst to look at?  RoR has a list of links on their site,
including the flagship site 'Basecamp' (which incidentially we are a
user of at work, which further makes RoR an easy sell for many here).

Thanks!

Phil