MVCR pattern (was Re: [Catalyst] Bing!)

David Storrs dstorrs at dstorrs.com
Thu Aug 11 15:15:45 CEST 2005

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here.  Could you clarify?

On Aug 11, 2005, at 3:44 AM, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:

> The problem with MVC and business logic comes from the lack of
> definition of business logic.

Are you saying that the term "business logic" is not properly
defined?  Because, if so, I would disagree with you--the business
logic is the code which is unique to your application.  Said another
way, it is the implementation of the domain rules.

> Perhaps we don't need to define it and
> use the practical distinction - everything that you need to call
> outside of the web environment (from crontabs etc) should go into the
> Model.

Or, perhaps we shouldn't.  A very good case can be made for the idea
that the Model should be just a thin wrapper over the DB and that the
Controller (notice the name) should be the 'smart' thing in the
system.  Not everyone will agree with this view and it isn't the
classical MVC view but neither of those things makes it wrong.

--Dks