MVCR pattern (was Re: [Catalyst] Bing!)

David Storrs dstorrs at dstorrs.com
Thu Aug 11 18:34:03 CEST 2005

On Aug 11, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 11:36 -0400, David Storrs wrote:
>> My question is /which component/ of the the web app should be
>> responsible for providing that interface to your external modules?
>> Should it be the Controller?
>
> Yes.
>
>>   Should it be the Model?
>
> No.  The external modules ARE the model.
>
>>   Should it be a
>> special-purpose Action class that is not part of the canonical MVC
>> pattern?
>
> That would also be one of the external modules.
>
> - Perrin

Nice to meet someone so...decisive...in his beliefs.  Could you
explain why you feel that the Model component of the MVC web
framework should not represent the interface to the conceptual Model
(which is the business logic in your external modules)?

Just to be clear:  I'm familiar with the standard meanings for M, V,
and C.  I'm trying to have a dialogue about ways and means, pros and
cons. The intention is to learn and work towards developing a list of
best practices.  Monosyllabic assertions aren't very helpful toward
any of those goals.

--Dks