MVCR pattern (was Re: [Catalyst] Bing!)

Sebastian Riedel sri at oook.de
Fri Aug 12 07:00:14 CEST 2005

Am 12.08.2005 um 00:39 schrieb Sam Vilain:
> Jesse Vincent and Autrijus Tang's "Bamboo" module is designed to be a
> real MVC state machine with abstracted and secured logical actions
> that
> can plug on top of request processing frameworks like Catalyst or
> Mason.
> So, if somebody writes a Catalyst::Bamboo, does that mean that
> Catalyst
> wasn't MVC in the first place?  Or just that the term MVC is
> sufficiently vague as to be deemed useless?

I wouldn't call this "real MVC", these (very elegant) Seaside like
state machines are something built on top of the MVC pattern.

The main problem of state machines for webapps is that they are
limited to (plain old) multi page wizards, it would be a mess to use
them in "modern" more dynamic apps using things like AJAX.
But as i agreed with Autrijus, state machines are a nice backup
mechanism for browsers that don't do AJAX or apps with a special
requirement for accessability.
I can imagine having such hybrid systems for higher level widget
toolkits.

--
sebastian