[Catalyst] Catalyst and Oracle

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Mon Aug 15 21:09:34 CEST 2005

On 8/15/05 2:48 PM, "Simon Miner" <sminer at christianbook.com> wrote:

> Is PostgresSQL's "serial" like MySQL's "auto increment".  If so, I don't
> believe Oracle supports this.  It uses sequence objects instead.

Just for the record, "Nope."  Serial is just a "macro" for defining the
sequence and defaults for the column.

>From the postgres docs:

"The data types serial and bigserial are not true types, but merely a
notational convenience for setting up unique identifier columns (similar to
the AUTO_INCREMENT property supported by some other databases). In the
current implementation, specifying

CREATE TABLE tablename (
    colname SERIAL
);

is equivalent to specifying:

CREATE SEQUENCE tablename_colname_seq;
CREATE TABLE tablename (
    colname integer DEFAULT nextval('tablename_colname_seq') NOT NULL
);"