[Catalyst] A different approach to static content

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Tue Aug 16 20:08:21 CEST 2005

Perrin Harkins wrote:

> [...]
>
>>IMHO, there's no reason I should have to tweak my httpd.conf everytime
>>just to serve more static from /.
>

> The DECLINED suggestion doesn't require changing your conf.  If you
> confine the part handled by Catalyst to a specific directory, that will
> also not require conf changes when adding new static directories.

No, but it still requires every request to go through Catalyst right?
That's the other gripe.

>>We have
>>the technology. It should just work
>

> Messing with the server configuration from within Perl code is
> notoriously tricky and I don't recommend it when it isn't truly
> necessary.  It would be different on every platform (mp 1, mp 2,
> FastCGI) as well.
>
> - Perrin

Very true. But we're not talking about default behaviour inflicted on
anyone; only behaviour to those who chose to use that particular engine
module.

It's not more different than if I took every url I wanted to use in
Catalyst and manually created <Location>/<LocatationMatch> blocks in
httpd.conf and set-handler on them. I'm just suggestion that with a
custom engine we could take the work out of it; just like using perl to
auto config 1000 virtual servers in httpd.conf.

-=Chris