[Catalyst] A different approach to static content

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Tue Aug 16 21:52:45 CEST 2005

Matt S Trout wrote:
> You're never going to make that work. Ever. In any way, shape or form. Apache
> doesn't have powerful enough regexes. mod_rewrite doesn't have powerful enough
> regexes. If you want to limited yourself to the apache feature set, fine, but
> that kinda defied the point of writing in perl.

Interestingly enough, Apache2 now uses PCRE for LocationMatch [and other
Regexp matching]. So, I think it's 100% doable under MP2, and maybe
under MP1 the regex actions just need to be more general, or not even
supported. Afterall, it's an optional engine. Only app authors who know
what they have and where it's running would choose to use it if it fit
their needs. If I'm never going to use a Regexp handler in my CatApp,
then there's no worry as the consumer of the custom engine.