[Catalyst] Streaming IO

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Aug 17 00:43:01 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 12:23:33AM +0200, Sebastian Riedel wrote:

> Am 17.08.2005 um 00:11 schrieb Matt S Trout:
> >Not exactly.
> >
> >If you want to do asynchronous I/O on a particular task you need an
> >event
> >driven POE handler for that task. DBI doesn't do asynchronous IO,
> >so people
> >fudge it by forking.
> >
> >Provided you're happy with synchronous I/O you can use whatever you
> >like
> >under POE.
> >
> >All POE would be handling here is the streaming input and streaming
> >output
> >at the start and end of a request; in the middle is just a normal
> >Catalyst
> >processing stage, pretty much.
> >
> >Well, until I get some of my scarier ideas working, anyway ...
>
> But it still minimizes the benefits...

For current code, yes. However currently people can't do streaming I/O at
all. New code, OTOH, could potentially take great advantage of this with
a little help from Catalyst. Perhaps

sub foo :Local :Async {

to indicated it's a component that co-operates with a POE core?

--
     Matt S Trout           Website: http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk
  Technical Director        E-mail:  mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk