[Catalyst] App design questions

Simon Miner sminer at christianbook.com
Wed Aug 17 15:20:00 CEST 2005

Hi,

When writing a web site using Catalyst, is it better to use one big
application with many controllers, or several smaller applications with
fewer controllers in which each app is broken down by function (i.e.
order, search, etc.)?  In the scenario I am considering, the site
functions are somewhat distinct, but the underlying models are shared
between them.  What are the pros and cons of each approach?

Also, I am noticing that in the Catalyst examples, the view MVC layer
sometimes contains logic that some might think better suited for the
controller.  For example, the HOPS and Scaffolding apps have calls to
the Class::DBI retrieve_all methods With regard to MVC, should this
database call be in the controller? If I wanted to change the UI, it
seems like this process would be made more complex by the presence of
such code in the view layer.  Are their processing considerations for
setting things up the way that they are? (I'm no MVC purist, mind
you...just curious.)

Thanks.

- Simon

Simon Miner