[Catalyst] App design questions

Marcello m.romani at spinsoft.it
Wed Aug 17 16:59:57 CEST 2005

David Storrs ha scritto:

> On Aug 17, 2005, at 9:42 AM, Marcello wrote:
>
>> Simon Miner ha scritto:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>  When writing a web site using Catalyst, is it better to use one  big
>>> application with many controllers, or several smaller  applications
>>> with fewer controllers in which each app is broken  down by function
>>> (i.e. order, search, etc.)?  In the scenario I am  considering, the
>>> site functions are somewhat distinct, but the  underlying models are
>>> shared between them.  What are the pros and  cons of each approach?
>>>

>> Well, since the "models" are shared, I would say the natural  approach
>> is one model (i.e. one database and an ORM package)  and  several
>> controllers, each of which deals with a particular set of  related
>> functions.
>

> I think he's saying that the framework models (the Cat::M::<name>
> modules) are shared, whereas you are saying that the pattern Model  (the
> 'M' in MVC) is shared.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, either of you.

Since the OP wrote "writing a web site" I assumed he was referring to *a
single website*, that's why I did not understand what that "several
smaller applications" was about.
After reading your reply and Alexander's, and re-reading the OP, I'm not
entirely shure I fully understand it :-)
He talks about "site functions" and "underlying models", so maybe he was
referring to a "web site" as a "hosting location" where you have
multiple websites sharing common functional modules (I would call them
catalyst plugins... ) and probably some of the database structure.

At this point I think the OP should clarify...

Marcello

[snip]