[Catalyst] Soaping up Catalyst

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Thu Aug 18 16:05:47 CEST 2005

Andy Grundman wrote:
> Christopher H. Laco wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to bolt-on SOAP access into Handel. Under normal
>> circumstances I could just glue Apache::SOAP, possibly a Handel::SOAP
>> handler and the core modules together. For the sake of adding SOAP,
>> that would probably do it.
>>
>> But, what about SOAP inside of Catalyst app? Has anyone taken a crack
>> at that yet? I was thinking that the first issue would be default
>> views like most are using in the examples.
>

> Have you taken a look at the XMLRPC plugin?  I imagine SOAP could be
> handled in a very similar manner.
>
> -Andy

Nope, I missed it because I was looking for a SOAP in views. :-)

Just so I think I understand how it works...the example is a little
think on the various options...

   * load the XMRPC plugin
   * set an entrypoint listener via $c->xmlrpc
   * RPC calls to a somemethod get sent to somemethod : Remote

I assume that the entrypoint takes care of sending the data back to the
client, bypassing all view handlers in end.

Back to yesterdays conversation...from the looks of this plugin, you CAN
add custom attributes. I would think a SOAP plugin should NOT use the
same attribute of Remote...that might cause a clash if you wanted to use
both XMLRPC and SOAP in the same app.

Thanks,
-=Chris