[Catalyst] File downloads - Plugin?

samwyse samwyse at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 15:14:04 CEST 2005

On 8/11/05, Toby Corkindale <tjc at wintrmute.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm in a position where I'd like to serve file downloads, out of database
> BLOBs, via Catalyst.
>
> These files are potentially very large, and so I would rather not suck the
> entire lot of data out of the DB and into Catalyst's $c->response->output()
> variable.

If you want to serve things via Catalyst, I'd expect the data to pass
through Catalyst.  If you want to get Catalyst out of the way, then
I'd look towards alternate methods of serving.  In other words, handle
it in much the same way that static data is handled, because that's
what it is:  static data that just happens to be kept in a database
instead of a filesystem.