[Catalyst] Problem with Catalyst::Engine::component()

Marcus Ramberg marcus.ramberg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 20:19:00 CEST 2005

On 8/28/05, Bernhard Graf <catalyst at augensalat.de> wrote:

> Marcus Ramberg wrote:
>
> > > Well, you could have used $c->component('^MyApp::M::Shop$'), but i
> > > agree, regex search is wrong, anyone got objections against
> > > removing it? It was originally meant to save me some typing, but it
> > > seems there are too many people who can't handle it.
> > I object! ;) I've just used this feature in
> > Catalyst::Plugin::DefaultEnd, to find the first available View
> > component.
> Aren't you serious about this or why is the smiley?
> Did you release this mod already or is there a chance for modification?

I'm quite serious, DefaultEnd is in the Catalyst trunk, and I intend to
release it before I leave to Braga on tuesday. If someone has a suggestion
for how I could solve this better, I'm all ears. Can't we make regex mode
more explicit in a further release, for example only support regexes in list
context?

> Besides Catalyst::Engine::component() needs two fixes: Add defined() to
> the first if stmt to cope with objects that might evaluate to false in
> boolean context like Class::DBI based objects might do and of course
> return nothing if nothing matches.

I'm not arguing that case, I'm just saying it's bad to break backwards
compability, and especially without providing a workaround. :p

Not sure about the status of thefeed.no <http://thefeed.no>, but you can
check out the mojomojo trunk from
http://maypole.perl.org/repos/mojomojo/trunk if you are curious about how it
goes.. Truth to be told, it has stagnated a while in beta period as I've
just started a new job, and been busy, along with the unfortunate crash of
my main server. I will not have time to restore
thefeed.no<http://thefeed.no>until I return from Braga next week.

--
With regards
Marcus Ramberg