[Catalyst] DBIC and RDBO compared (was: Choosing the right ORM)

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Thu Dec 1 01:56:17 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 19:34 -0500, John Siracusa wrote:
> I just can't think of anything it can do that can't be done better
> using one
> of the other features.  If you can give me some example scenarios,
> that'll
> help me get an idea of what people actually use this kind of feature
> for.

I mentioned Oracle's tree extensions.  You can also do complex outer
join scenarios, subselects, GROUP BY with HAVING clauses, full-text
search extensions, etc.  There's also some use for managing locking with
things like SELECT..FOR UPDATE grabbing a bunch of objects and holding
read locks on them until the commit.  And there's really esoteric stuff
like extensions for working with polygon data.

Databases are just too complicated to totally abstract away.  I want
help with all the easy stuff, but sometimes the hard stuff requires
direct SQL.

By the way, did the new prepare_cached() work improve performance
noticeably?

- Perrin