[Catalyst] DBIC and RDBO compared (was: Choosing the right ORM)

John Siracusa siracusa at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 3 06:48:40 CET 2005

On 11/30/05 9:05 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 20:39 -0500, John Siracusa wrote:
>> In these situations, what I tend to do is run the custom SQL using DBI and
>> then instantiate one or more RDBO objects manually from each row.
>
> That's probably enough for most situations.
>
>> When you use CDBI to do custom queries, do you make sure that the columns
>> returned match the expectations of your CDBI class?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If so, then my commented-out get_objects_from_sql() method does the same
>> thing.
>>
> Sounds pretty similar to what I do with Class::DBI.

It's commented-out no more.  RDBO 0.56 was just released:

0.56 (12.03.2005) - John Siracusa <siracusa at mindspring.com>

    * Added get_objects_from_sql() and make_manager_method_from_sql()
      Manager methods.
    * Made the use of prepare_cached() optional everywhere.  It's on
      by default in Rose::DB::Object, but off by default in Manager.
      Class data determines the defaults.
    * Added enum column type.

-John